Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Day 2: Tuesday

6:20am: Pre-run 2 tablespoons of cottage cheese and 2 triscuts
6:30am: 6 mile run.  I run in the morning with 2 friends.  One of my strongest recommendations is if you want to work out in the morning because you have something at night, commit to it with a friend.  Neither of you wants to be the one to bail.  Plus you have someone to commiserate with if you don't like getting up early or talk about your day or just for companionship and motivation. Another suggestion is find a local running group that does morning runs.  Yes - there will be someone your pace and in your shoes there.  DC has some great ones including:
 - pacers store running groups http://runpacers.com/
 - Georgetown running company: http://therunningcompany.net/georgetowns-homepage
 - Meetups - join meetup.com and there are Arlington groups, Bethesda groups and more or start your own.

Breakfast:  This morning I made homemade oatmeal.  It's really easy if you use quick oats and it's a great stick to your ribs breakfast after a work out.  Has a lot of protein/ fiber, etc.  How I like to make it:
 - 2 servings (one for me and one for the boyfriend and yes I wake him up with breakfast almost every morning)
 - Add a drop of maple sugar - lets face it you aren't going to eat it if it doesn't taste good, just do not go overboard and I like to use the reduced fat syrup.  I also add about a tablespoon of brown sugar.  To balance the oatmeal I also cut up a banana and blueberries.  These add density and trick your body into thinking you are eating more.  One serving of oatmeal on its own in my opinion is not enough calories for breakfast, but if you are like me, then you cant really eat more then one serving so adding the fruit really helps balance the meal for me.

Lunch:  I almost always buy lunch.  I do not really have time to make lunch in the morning, I never really remember to do it the night before, and I like leaving my desk for a break in the day as well.  Today, I went to lunch with my boyfriend at Nado Peri-Peri.  They post all nutrition facts online and I typically enjoy eating at restaurants that I can check the nutrition online before i go to plan my meal.  Today I had the chicken pita and side of butternut squash.  Remember, my calories this morning were less especially fro already running, had I not run, I most likely would have foregone the side.   As you can see, the pita has plenty of yummy fresh vegetables and protein and very balanced meal.

I had class tonight form 5:30 - 8PM.  I had 2 mini kit kats before class  = bad idea.  I should have had a granola bar and yes I have them at home so that's not an excuse and I should have brought water.  I was starving and parched by the end of class.  I have to take the metro home after class and then walk about 3/4 mile to my apartment, thus I was about ready to eat my hand on the way home.

Dinner:  I should have gone healthier, but it was easier to eat Sunday's left over calzone.  This calzone was not as bad as most as the crust is very thin and we added peppers and tomato and Canadian bacon to it, but still its no chicken and asparagus like I made the night before. For dessert tonight I had a greek yogurt because I always like to end my day with something sweet.

For tomorrows class I will eat my kashi granola bar as my snack and get a salad at sweet green or paneara on the way home.

1 comment: