Monday, February 13, 2012

Cold Weekend Alternatives

If you are like me and you hate to venture outside for anything when it was as cold as it was this past weekend, then these are my recommendations for alternative work outs for you.  It was between 27-32 degrees where I was.  Talk about cold, it even snowed one night.  I usually make the rule of not running outside below 30 degrees and the reasoning behind that rule includes: my nose runs too much and annoys me, I am a klutz and if there is any ice - I will find it and slip, and finally the cold just hurts and makes my skin raw.  I realize this may make me a pre-madona, but hey I get enough exercise outside when its warmer out so that they few days I do not go out int he cold its ok.

My recommended solution:  If you have Comcast or another cable provider with an "ondemand" function or a computer that you can easily hook up in area that you can see while you work out - find a work out video online to do. Pick a celebrity that you like - they are all seem to be jumping on the work out video bandwagon these days.  My favorites are usually anything that Jillian Michaels Jillian Michael does or Kendra Wilkinson. I find their works outs to be extremely challenging and well rounded.  Often you will need some free weights, in the event you don't have them - use soup cans or anything else that you have 2 of pre-packaged and you can get your hands around.


Other alternatives that are good for indoor training, if you do not have a gym to go to include: if you have an iPad go to fitness.com or womenshealth.com and look at some of their home work outs.  These sites are great for anyone just beginning all the way to the most advanced athlete.  Their workouts can also be a great change of pace and way to get in some good cross training form your normal routine.

Reccomended Food to eat: my hilly chili is great for a cold winter day.  Other great winter healthy foods include soups, hearty grains, roast chicken, stews, and hot tea.  I will follow up with some good recipes after I try them myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment