Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Best Chili Recipe EVER!!

Hilly Chili (what I have name it)

This is a recipe for my chili, but I will warn you that it is extremely healthy and even more delicious.  This may be a hard thing to believe healthy and delicious, but really it is. I know lots of guys and girls alike that love it and the best part is you can amend it anyway you like depending on your taste on different beans and vegetables. I think that chili is the perfect healthy and comforting winter treat.  Plus the chili I make should last you a couple nights and freezes well in case you want to save it for a later date.

Chili has a great balance of vegetables, legumes, and protein.  I usually do not use red meat in mine, but if you do its not a big deal, I just suggest using 90% or 92% lean ground meat to keep it on the healthier side.  Also, when I make it I mix two kinds of meat for more flavor. My Recipe and suggestions on how to cook are below:

Ingredients:
 - 1lb ground lean turkey (could also use ground lean beef or buffalo)
 - 1/2 - 3/4 lb of uncooked spicy pork sausage - you will need to remove it from the casing (you can usually get these behind the meat counter - if your grocery store doesn't have it - use ground pork instead and season with some red pepper flakes, chili powder, garlic and worcestershire)
 - 1 Green pepper and 1 Red bell pepper and as many hot peepers as you like ( i typically use one chili pepper and a  jalapeno and/or habanero)
 - 1 onion
 - chopped garlic
 - 1 package of sliced mushrooms (optional) ( my boyfriend doesn't like them I love them = compromise separate some out and add mushrooms to it or make it one time with and one time without)
 - olive oil
 - 1 small can of corn (optional)
 - 1 can bottle of beer
 - 2 cans of diced tomatoes with chili peppers
 - 1 large can of diced tomatoes
 - 1 can of tomato sauce
 - 1 can of tomato paste
- 1 can of cannelloni beans
- 1 can of red kidney beans
- 1 can of black beans
- SPICES: garlic powder, chili powder, red pepper flakes, paprika, cumin, basil, oregano, salt, pepper and some worcestershire sauce - use to your personal preference and add in small amounts to find your perfect combination of the above flavors

Directions:
 1. Stir fry the onions, garlic, peppers, and mushrooms in a LARGE pot with some olive oil
2. Brown both meats together in a separate fry pan and strain all the excess liquid
3. Add the meat in with the veggies along with the beer, cans of tomatoes, cans of beans, can of corn and your first round of spices
4. Bring these contents to a boil and continue to stir.  Try a bite to see where your spices are and add some more as you like.
5. Simmer and continue to stir for at least 3 more hours to cook and let all of the flavors come together 
I will continue to post some of my favorite recipes and if you want to try any of them and have questions feel free to message me using the comments section below.







No comments:

Post a Comment