Sunday, July 15, 2012

DeLish Healthy Pasta


I had a craving for pasta tonight - something that happens from time to time,  and decided I would go the healthy route (not typical for my Sunday night cheat meal - since every fit guy or gal needs a lil food cheat to keep sane).  However, it was still super delicious!!

I trekked the couple of blocks from my apartment to Whole Foods and picked up the requisite ingredients for my meal. I gathered grape tomatoes, broccoli, baby spinach, and onion, a box of Di Boles Angel Hair pasta + flax, and the Whole Foods 3 cheese blend. I even somehow magically managed to escape the Sunday family throngs that seem to plague super markets on the weekend, which was a super unexpected treat.

I got home, and the rumble in my tummy told me it was time to start cooking. I prepped the veggies and put water on to boil for the pasta.  Cooking included the basics - pasta in water with a tiny bit of olive oil and salt and then the veggies were cooked in a wok pan with some olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic, basil, oregano & crushed red pepper flakes.  When each was almost done I added the pasta into the wok pan with the cheese and continued to cook for a minute or two longer and Boom - dinner is served.

Why this is healthy: the pasta has flax and omega-3 as well as a good amount of protein - so it’s a fantastic well rounded dish with all the veggies in it as well. I recommend for more protein one of 2 options - ground turkey or shrimp.  Another great thing about this meal is the fact that it’s all natural real food nutrients that are easily absorbed by your body rather that health from a supplemental form. 

This meal is a great Sunday night treat and is also easy to make on weeknights after a long day of work. It is also a great meal the first night you eat it - or for leftovers the next day. My fit followers – try this recipe for yourselves and thank me later with how much you like it… :)


No comments:

Post a Comment