Monday, July 9, 2012

Best Foods for Runners - and why

I came across this post today from Self Magazine on Facebook for "The 6 Best Foods for Runners".  Obviously, considering myself an amateur runner and into nutrition for running, I was inspired to check it out. Here is the link: http://www.self.com/fooddiet/2010/06/six-best-foods-for-runners-slideshow?mobify=0&mobify=0#slide=1

According to the article, allegedly the following 6 food items are the best for runners and a basic reason reason why:
1. Almonds - supply a great amount of Vitamin E... they offer a few uses as in sprinkled in oatmeal or tablespoon of almond butter, but warn not to eat too much because they are high calorie.
2.  Eggs - for protein and energy to help repair post run. Suggests keeping hard boiled eggs in the fridge among other ways to eat them.
3. Leafy Greens - proposed for their Vitamin K and calcium content to support your bones.  Specifically, spinach, collard greens, kale, and bok choy.
4. Oranges - for their (big surprise) Vitamin C - helps absorb calcium and possibly help increase fat burn.
5. Quinoa - as a complete protein it boasts 8 amino-acids and a great alternative to whole grains.
6. Sweet Potato - Great complex carb for long-term energy as well as protein, fiber, potassium and vitamins C & A.

My observations from reading this article left me with a few questions based on some of the information I have learned in my nutrition classes and just my own basic curiosity:
 - How do I know when I should eat the suggested food: right before my run/ right after my run or a few hours from my run?
 - How much of each of these foods should I eat?
 - Do I eat a combination of all of these in one day?
 - How should the food be prepared/ does it matter?

These questions led me to go look and see if anyone else might know the answer. My quest returned a lot of information and made me realize this is a very pop-runner type article that many of the trendy female health and fitness magazines like to write about every few months.  Below are some other links with similar information... but my interest has been spiked and I am now determined to investigate further and find the answers to my questions.... TBC my faithful fit followers......

http://www.hungryrunnergirl.com/2011/08/15-best-foods-for-runners.html (possibly my favorite post found - maybe because she is a girl after my own heart that eats OREOS!!!!)
http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-242-301--10200-1-1X2X3X4X6X7-7,00.html
http://www.health.com/health/article/0,,20411333,00.html
http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/recipes/healthy-eating/nutrition/best-foods-for-runners/



No comments:

Post a Comment