Friday, August 10, 2012

Running in the Rain


Don’t let a soggy or stormy forecast deter you from your plans….begrudgingly, I left my house at 5:45 this morning, and before I knew it, my 14 mile training run was complete.   By the end of my tumultuous trek, accompanied by my faithful running buddy, we both proclaimed how impressed we were with the sheer amazingness of “mind over matter”.  

As cheesy as this may sound, it is important to remember, you really can do the things that are important to you that you set your mind to.  For instance, as a part of my training for my marathon, I must complete a long run each week; however the group I train with does their long runs on Saturday mornings.  What is a girl to do when she hates running long distance on her own, but will be away all weekend? The answer, find another friend for support. I used another friend that is also in training for a marathon to run with me Friday before work.  Although the skies were ominous at my 5:30AM wake-up call, I honored my commitment and met my friend at Grant Statue to begin our course. 

We waited out one down pour and then set out in good spirits through some drizzle, hoping that was the last of the strong stuff. Twelve miles down, a little drizzle, and multiple laughs later (the one thing I can multi-task is talking and running at the same time, go figure) we both looked at each other like, really, now?  Two miles to go and the skies just opened on us. When I wanted to duck under a hut for shelter and quit, my buddy was able to keep me motivated and reminded me, by of course quoting Drake for maybe the one-hundred-millionth time, that “YOLO – you only live once” and we laughed and trudged our way through what seemed like endless pools of puddles and rain stronger than any shower ever should be, finishing feeling very fulfilled. 

Moral of this story: You can do what you set your mind to do, even if it rains.  Find your own way to get the things you want in your life accomplished and sometimes when you have to work harder for it, it somehow seems more rewarding.

Below – what awesomeness and running in the rain looks like in the aftermath (my shirt dry is a light green color) although, the picture does not do justice to just how soaked we really were:


And the yummy breakfast I rewarded myself with after (Pre-photo I was too hungry and already ate the other ½ of my bagel, but it’s an asparagus, ham & cheese omelet)


1 comment:

  1. "Running in the rain makes you 150% more hardcore." WOOHOO!!!!

    ReplyDelete