Thursday, March 15, 2012

It's getting Hott out there, so....

Make sure to stay well hydrated.  I know, I bet you thought I was going to quote the old Nelly song and tell you to take off all your clothes, but no, sadly right now I am more interested in staying properly hydrated.

As mentioned in an earlier post of Q&A - I only typically drink water and possibly coffee throughout the day.  I drink between 2 - 3 Liters of water at work alone.  And, YES, I have to pee a lot!  But, I rarely feel dehydrated or get headaches from lack of water, which can be a common problem for people.

As the days get warmed and you are outside more, or your gym is warmer so you sweat more it becomes even more important that you think about proper hydration for your activity level.  I think that pre/ during/ and post hydration are all important. 

What I have found works best for me is to drink a lot of water at work and always keep a water bottle around for when I am thirsty.  It is usually  easy to bring  a water bottle to the gym and put it in the machine, but running outside is not as easy and who wants to be caught wearing water belt?  Just kidding, water belts are great or planned water stops are necessary for any runs longer than an hour.  After a work out you should also think about if you need water or a sports type drink.  For me, my stomach does not always agree with the sugary ones and I will go with non-sugar electrolyte drink, but it is all what works for you.

Here is my water bottle I use at work:

No comments:

Post a Comment